Your brand IS your business. Protect it!
If you are thinking about filing a new trademark application or maintaining an existing registration, consider filing before the end of 2020. The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is increasing some of its filing fees as of January 2, 2021.
Both the rise in some fees, as well as new fees for previously cost-free submissions, range from moderate to relatively large. These fee adjustments will significantly impact brand owners seeking to register, maintain, and enforce their trademarks. For example, the fees for filing a standard electronic application increase from $275 to $350 per class of goods or services. In view of this, if you are interested in protecting your brand by filing a new trademark application, or if you have upcoming deadlines for existing trademarks, we recommend filing before the end of the year to avoid incurring these increased government fees.
Other fee increases for common submissions include:
Application and Application-Related Fees
- TEAS Standard: $350 per class (Up from $275 per class)
- TEAS Plus: $250 per class (Up from $225 per class)
Post Registration Fees
- Section 8 or 71 Declaration filed through TEAS: $225 per class (Up from $125 per class)
- New fee for deleting goods, services, and/or classes from a registration after filing a Declaration of Use but before it is accepted: $250
Petition To The Director and Letter Of Protest Fees
- Petition to the Director filed through TEAS: $250 (Up from $100)\
- Petition to revive an abandoned application filed through TEAS: $150 (Up from $100)
- New fee for letter of protest: $50 per application
For a more in-depth review of the changes, please contact us. To accelerate your trademark submissions and take advantage of 2020 pricing, schedule an appointment. We are also happy to evaluate your portfolio and advise of any savings you can achieve.